icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

On-screen keyboard: get out of my face

Last post 07-15-2009, 1:34 by icelava. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-15-2009, 1:34 5841

On-screen keyboard: get out of my face

For some reason, one of my laptop's been throwing up Windows Vista's On-screen keyboard every time I logon to a desktop session. Typing with a mouse on my laptop sure is as fun and necessary as using a magnifying glass to burn my statements on paper instead of using a regular pen. I sure do not require this functionality, and the On-screen keyboard interface does not indicate in any way how I can disable this. One might think Microsoft has a UX group specifically charged with the goal of griefing people.

What does one do when encountering yet another attempt to annoy users to no end? Run over to the eptly, and sadly, named annoyances.org and look through all the frustrations everybody else is having with all the incarnations of Windows. Thankfully, someone has identified this as part of the accessibility settings for Windows, accessible (no pun intended) via

Control Panel > Ease of Access Center

get into the Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard section, and uncheck Use On-Screen Keyboard. Save it, and click on Change administrative settings on the left and specify Apply all settings to the logon desktop and save again.

View as RSS news feed in XML