icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

Please restrict learning for exams only

Last post 08-21-2007, 10:20 by Anonymous. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-09-2007, 10:05 1669

Please restrict learning for exams only

Sometimes I just feel like I am out of touch with the rest of the world.

(ok, the truth is I am out of touch with common life, but that's not the focus of this post)

What I am really most confused with is, the near-guaranteed singular form of response whenever people see me reading a technical (computer) book.

Are you studying for exam?

This happens even with family and friends who have witnessed, for years, my habit of carrying some form of book or documents or even my laptop so that I can maximise my knowledge-suckling throughput.

Is it just me? Or is IT the only industry with its professionals perpetually pouring their heads into books year after year? Or do other fields have so little to learn it can all be done so during office hours? I seriously find that hard to believe, that other professions have it that easy. Yet, the concept of picking up a book related to work during night time or weekends is so utterly alien to them, they simply cannot understand that, perhaps, a person may possess the desire to acquire more knowledge. That has nothing to do with an exam.

I don't know how many times I have had to explain to them that I am just trying to learn new things. Or sometimes refreshing past memories. In fact, I hate taking exams; a poor reflection of what is the true attitude and mentality of developers you'd want to hire. Surely I can't be that big of a masochist to take on so many certifications annually.  That also leaves me wondering, how exactly do professionals in other fields keep current in their jobs? Do they already possess all the knowledge necessary to carry out their work? Excellently? Are their practices and standards stagnated and never changing?

I really do not know. Perhaps I should be looking for a new profession, one where only exams will be the occassion when I am forced to read work-related books. And then I can go,

You studying for exam too?

Filed under:
  •  08-10-2007, 10:24 1673 in reply to 1669

Re: Please restrict learning for exams only

Some friend pasted me this quote from Bill Hicks. It smacks right in the face, wow.

Bill Hicks:
    I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: "<smack smack smack smack> Hey, whatchoo readin' for?"

Isn't that the weirdest fucking question you've ever heard? Not what am I readING, but what am I reading *for*? Well, godammit, ya stumped me! Why do I read? Well... hmmm... I dunno... I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one is so I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress.

•  08-21-2007, 10:20 1719 in reply to 1669

Stick out tongue [:P] Re: Please restrict learning for exams only

Ha! You arent so out of touch. I get the same crap too. There are many, many of "us" out there so dont fret it. I am often asked WHY would I want to spend my free time reading a 850 page reference guide, which to them has no end purpose. These are the same exact folks who also question the need to pay me $150/hr to correct their 15 year-old neighbor's "CRM" that he built them in exchange for a whoppin' X-Box 360. These are the same folks who laugh and poke jokes at us for chatting and sending email in the early 1980s and then bug us to death about this "new chatting thing" as if it never existed before. The same folks who laughed at ME because I read maps over and over again since the age of 4 and could calculate a radius and distance from point to point and so on - who are now telling me about Latitude and Longitude as if they just discovered it with Google Maps. Pla-eeese. Dont allow it to get to you. -A-
View as RSS news feed in XML