icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

Naming lesson for parents-to-be

Last post 12-18-2005, 9:58 by icelava. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-18-2005, 9:58 1199

Naming lesson for parents-to-be

Take it from me, do not name your children with the first few letters coming from either end of the alphabetical spectrum. e.g. Aaron (hey, that's me!)

Those names were perfectly fine when listed in a class register or Yellow Pages back in the analogue days of old. But in today's world of digital phonebooks, that greatly increases their chances of appearing first or last in somebody's contact list. Given the mass population who do not own a clamshell mobile phone and also do not have the sensible habit of lock their keypads, the ratio of void calls or empty SMSes to actual valid ones - I can tell you with extravagant first hand experience - is an unholy high.

What bites me is how efficient these mobile phones can be - sending messages at a rate much faster than I can delete them off my phone. True testament to technological advances. Wait..... I'd consider it advanced when my phone can intelligently recognise textless SMS and route them to the Junk folder and auto purge every 30 days.

I guess I am the only person on the planet who inserts "AAA" and "ZZZ" entries in my phonebook (when using candybars).

So, please, spare your future children those injections of annoyance and give them names that force others to irritatingly scroll to the middle of the list.
View as RSS news feed in XML