icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

Error 112 Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager' 'asp:UpdatePanel' on Windows 7

Last post 12-22-2011, 4:56 by icelava. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-22-2011, 4:56 11687

Error 112 Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager' 'asp:UpdatePanel' on Windows 7

Ah, the joys of running legacy code on a modern computing environment.

Roughly every three years we get laptop refreshes, which may sound just about right from hardware progression timelines. The natural and unavoidable side effect of that is operating system is clean again. Meaning, we lose all those years of custom software installations and configurations that made our development "work" previously. So this time round with a 8GB dual-core HyperThreading x64 Windows 7. I only loaded in Visual Studios 2008 and 2010; do we still care about 2005?

Now at this point I am trying to learn Web Client Software Factory 2010 (WCSF) as that is the web framework being implemented for a project I might stand to support. Does anybody out there actually use WCSF? Regardless, I want to know it, so I am not lost when I look at the outcome system. But understanding WCSF is not an easy task as it is a sophisticated (or complex depending on your view) conglomerate of frameworks and design patterns that can attack you from multiple angles. It is tough finding current practical materials on it so I fell back on pnpguidance.net for the first version tutorial and sample. I converted the solution in VS2008 and attempted to run the web site,

Error 112 Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'
    Error 112 Unknown server tag 'asp:UpdatePanel'

Seriously? How can those controls be unknown???

If you look at any search result on this matter the issue appears to be a lack of the additional tag declaration for ASP.NET AJAX controls.

<pages>

<controls>

<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />

</controls>

</pages>

But wait a minute, it is right there in web.config. Don't joke with me, ASP.NET!

The problem is, as hinted above, this is a Windows 7 system. It comes with .NET Framework 3.5 out of the box. And ASP.NET 3.5 already has the AJAX extensions assembly system.web.extensions built in; I was all happy with that and took it for granted. But this sample is an ASP.NET 2.0 app. ASP.NET 2.0 did not have AJAX extensions on release. Thus it was referencing an assembly version that did not exist in my computer.

So I scrambled to download the missing component in the puzzle - ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 - so that a "traditional" ASP.NET 2.0 app that had no reliance on 3.5 assemblies can continue to run.

Ah, the joys of running legacy code on a modern computing environment.

Filed under: , ,
View as RSS news feed in XML