icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help

Signs your colleague may not be a good developer #4

•  06-02-2009, 1:32

Signs your colleague may not be a good developer #4

<INPUT class="button" id="fpUploadFile" type="file" size="50" name="fpUploadFile" runat="server">

What does the HTML tag above represent? That's right, a control for a user to tell the browser to upload a file on his/her computer to the web server on page submit.

Now, how should you react when the web developer taking care of this page thinks all that the browser is submitting to the web server (IIS in this case) is merely the file system path string of the file, and the web server would subsequently go back and retrieve the file from the user's computer? Because, you know, the web server knows exactly where the file is on the client's computer.

I struggled hard to explain to her how the HTTP request-response model works. And then it appeared she was likely not the only one who has a distorted perception on the mechanics of the world wide web.... Anybody have a handkerchief? I have tears I need to wipe.

UPDATE

For those who asked, these are developers who have been around for years. They are not fresh grads.

Filed under: , , ,
View Complete Thread