icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

Windows Live Messenger 2011 - Cannot login - Error code 80040154

Last post 10-14-2011, 6:01 by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-21-2010, 10:56 7129

Windows Live Messenger 2011 - Cannot login - Error code 80040154

If there is a division that frequently gives Microsoft a bad reputation, i am sure the Online or Windows Live division or whatever new confounding bullshit marketing name they give it must be the Number One spot at the top chart of shame. I cannot begin understand how Windows Messenger, version after version after so many years, continue to strike up the same kinds of connection problems to the online service. It's like they are aiming for some hat-trick of sorts in pissing off thousands upon thousands of users worldwide.

Back in 2009, I encounter similar inexplicable connectivity problems on this x64 Windows Vista that eventually - somehow - corrected itself. But not before I bit off much of the skin and flesh off the bones of my arms. Now with the release of Windows Live Essentials 2011, I was all ready to forget all those frustrating days and was greeted with a rude surprise that I cannot login Windows Live Messenger because of "error code 80040154".

Very useful information in telling me how to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. Oh yea. Is that a number I should be calling for help?

I took the error code and searched high and low, only to find discussions and suggestions for older versions that did not work for my case. None of the "clean up" activities could get this frozen car engine started. I could almost hear the Windows Live team laughing out "Gotcha!" over 7000 miles away. I wish nuclear weapons were readily available for sale to the general public.

Well, tonight, God decided the world shall continue to live in peace. I finally found something relevant to the new release.

http://netindonesia.net/blogs/meidianto/archive/2010/10/03/windows-live-essentials-2011-msnmgr-exe-error.aspx 

Seriously I do not know how this chap ever got to this conclusion; I tried to assess what msnmgr.exe was trying to do with SysInternals Procmon and came up with no clues. But whatever genius thinking or bomoh consulting he did, the nail was struck squarely on the head here. The upgrade installation for Windows Live Essentials was apparently so poorly written and tested it never bothered to place much-needed files

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared\wldcore.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared\wldlog.dll

into the other three directories

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail

If yours is a 32-bit operating system, your directory name won't have the "(x86)" suffix.

I don't need to be biting my arm tonight.

•  11-26-2010, 17:12 7178 in reply to 7129

Re: Windows Live Messenger 2011 - Cannot login - Error code 80040154

Thanks! I've been looking for a fix for this for some time now, this did the trick!
  •  12-21-2010, 17:54 7209 in reply to 7129

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I have been fighting this problem for almost a week and even the installation of the "latest release" of Live Essentials 2011 didn't fix it! But your message did! Here I was blaming it on my corporate IT people for blocking a port!

Finally, I have my connection to my children back! Thank you!

Cindy near Reno, NV

•  10-06-2011, 10:18 9951 in reply to 7129

I ran into this error after trying to clean up my system PATH variable. Fixed it by adding the following entries back into the PATH variable (on Win7 x64): C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared
  •  10-14-2011, 6:01 10023 in reply to 7129

You are still helping a year down the line.  Thanks!Smile
View as RSS news feed in XML