icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help

Reply to an Existing Message

The message you are replying to: Connecting to Windows 7 Administrative shares
icelava wrote the following post at 01-02-2011 9:42:

What is a productive activity to spend across the New year weekend? Upgrade the laptop from x86 Windows 7 to x64 of course! No self-respecting geek would waste time on meaningless actions like popping champange at parties or countdown just to watch silly fireworks. No way. Uh-uh. Just saying.

And so I did, finally acting on the plan I've been stalling for months. And my plan was double-fold, unscrew the old 5400rpm hard disk housing the old OS and usher in the half-way-sexy Seagate Momentus XT. I am on my way to revitalising my "old" laptop with fully-accessible 4GB RAM address range and then some sweet read-access times. I know it is no where need true SSD performance levels, but I'm happy still. Let us clap our hands and give thanks.

Until I hit the age-old problem - accessing administrative shares. To be more specific, I use the same adminstrator username/password across my home computers, do they can freely transcend the machines as if they were one. One admin account to rule them all, indeed. However, this newly-installed 64-bit OS managed to escape the influence of the ring, and refused to accept any connections from other computers. Well-shielded, its administrative shares, were. It could access and pollute the other machines' administratives shares, so there was some funny one-way trust happening. If I had a dime every time I encountered this type of network share denial problem, I'd rival Hugh Hefner in fortune.

Network shares had always been mystifying in all my years of working with Windows. For some reason, I've never been able to find adequate documentation explaining its inner workings in order to better understand the nature in which it operated and thus how to better troubleshoot various inaccessibility issues. The basic how-to articles frequently returned simply do not educate enough for me to go skydiving solo. The major contributor to this problem (of understanding) is due to the fact Windows, in all its versions, behave inconsistently with its network shares. Observing behaviour patterns thus became more difficult than killing cockroaches.

This is further highlighted by a friend who finally came along with information that eversince Windows Vista, administrative shares, while still there technically, have been disabled by default. It takes a Registry hack to get the thing working. But, I don't remember having to do that with my other computers. Nonetheless, this step broke down the Berlin wall in this new OS and finally allowed me passport-free access to its filesystem.

Odd enough, but I guess I'll let it by since I have more important things to focus on.

Tags