icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

Creative bizzare direction: not for local TV

Last post 10-26-2004, 15:18 by icelava. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-17-2004, 2:41 668

Creative bizzare direction: not for local TV

or rather I mean say the local TV audience is not for creative directives like Perfect Blue. I may sound condescending, but my opinion is by assessment that the average household member who watches "contemporary" dramas from Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong have too primitive a mindset to be able to appreciate such.

That means your mother, aunts, grandmothers, and your elder male relatives to a slightly lesser extend. Well so sorry.

Shows from director Kon Satoshi requires viewers to sit up straight, strain their brain hard to guess, think, figure, and contemplate what they've just seen and heard. Our elder generations aren't used to such a high level of creativity and mind joust, preferring everything to be spoonfed in a straightforward presentation for them to easily digest and be entertained.

That's why I've stopped many years back with dramas because even up to this age and time, haven't graduated from the simplistic formula. Yes, ratings can be high no doubt, as long as there is this generation to feed upon. But unless chinese talent can upgrade to the level of intensity, creativity, and intrigue to at least that of korean and japanese productions, the younger generations certainly won't be excited. And I am not saying korean/japanese dramas are all excellent either - a great deal, including anime, are still lame. But for chinese productions, it's the approach itself that is lame.

So if the first step is already on a mine, I don't expect much with the second.
View as RSS news feed in XML