icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 - how to create new machines?

Last post 05-21-2009, 10:10 by icelava. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-21-2009, 10:10 5704

Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 - how to create new machines?

Microsoft knows the experience of torturing people into a zillion application breakages with the upgrade to Windows Vista. Painfully. So this time round with Windows 7, a new strategy is being tried out to keep the masses happy with their legacy applications - Windows XP Mode. Using a modified Virtual PC 2007, the process of installing and booting up an altenative Windows XP within Windows 7 is super fast. I did not have to go through an installation procedure of Windows XP at all!

Well that is all cool and dandy. Impressive stuff. However my real intention is to run a virtual Windows Vista on top of this Windows 7 testbed. So, how does one get about creating new virtual machines with this new version of Virtual PC? It seems it cannot be found in the Start menu at all. I was told to search for "virtual machines" which would reveal and lead me to the folder in my user directory (e.g. C:\Users\Aaron.Seet\Virtual Machines). There I shall find my bride waiting for me, ready to birth as many children as I need for all my development tests.

But wait, I do not see any Create virtual machine button...

When i showed this to my friend he totally freaked out and denounced the works of the devil. Well I just want to get a virtual Windows Vista up and slamming. Since for unfathomable reasons I do not get The Button for me to caress with my finger, I have to do it the true, hard, tough man's way:

Run vpcwizard.exe

From there onwards, I am flowing through the usual procedure of spawning virtual systems with this platform.

Hey! Be a Man!

View as RSS news feed in XML