icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

C# Internal Compiler Error CS0584 CS0586 CS0587

Last post 09-13-2008, 2:15 by icelava. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-13-2008, 2:15 4466

C# Internal Compiler Error CS0584 CS0586 CS0587

One of the "fun" things about working as an enterprise SI is being able to travel back in time. To eras long past and forgotten; left in the buried deep in the dust; unseen by modern civilization. We get to re-enter environments still operating with .NET Framework v1.0 or 1.1. ;-)

It does not take long to understand that the technology world only has forward to look at. Looking backward into past technologies, even half a decade, is just plain ugly and intolerable. What was such "wow"s and "ooo"s and revolutionary back then quickly descends into frustration and contempt. How we take new versions for granted sometimes. There is simply nothing classical about technology. At all.

But I digress. The main story here is we are building up POCs to show case a migration plan for the .NET 1.1 implementation at this place to transition to .NET 3.5 glory. Naturally part of the process would be to run the existing .NET 1.1 code base and convert it to the v3.5 runtime. Since I came late into the POC, my colleagues had already done this leg work and the code base was a mixture of Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2008 project/solutions. I opened the 2003 solution and attempted to compile it. Some strange errors surfaced to greet me.

C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(10,10): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'CODEGEN' symbol 'project.EWF.BaseClass.BatchBase.BatchBase()'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(10,10): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'project.EWF.BaseClass.BatchBase.BatchBase()'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(10,10): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'project.EWF.BaseClass.BatchBase.BatchBase()'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(8,15): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'project.EWF.BaseClass.BatchBase'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(3,11): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'project.EWF.BaseClass'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(3,11): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'project.EWF'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(3,11): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'project'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(3,11): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'Agency.App'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(3,11): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'Agency'
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs(1,1): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol ''
    C:\projects\solution\project.EWF.BaseClass\BatchBase.cs: error CS0586: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE'
    error CS0587: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE'
    error CS0587: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'BEGIN'

For once, this is not one of those rare obscure isolated errors that plagues only me. Gus Perez explains this is due to the v1.1 C# compiler's inability to due with existing debug-symbol PDB files that were generated from the v2.0/3.5 compiler. By deleting all the .pdb files existing under that hierarchy of directories, I was able to relaunch Visual Studio .NET 2003 (man, how ugly you look now) and compile without a hitch.

View as RSS news feed in XML