icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

SQL Server FullText Search: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion

Last post 01-23-2015, 14:34 by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-26-2007, 12:58 1510

Confused [8-)] SQL Server FullText Search: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion

What a night this has been. Yup, here I am in the office, half past 12 midnight. And still battling with this nascent laptop to get SQL Server installed properly. Previously I had problems trying to get Analysis Services to start. I thought maybe - maybe - it could be that I am using Windows Vista Home Premium, instead of Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate edition. Despite what Microsoft claims about it supported.

So I uninstalled SQL Server 2005 to give way temporarily for the Ultimate Warrior edition. Once I had Vista Ultimate running, I proceeded to shaft SQL Server down its throat again. What happens? It chokes. Two thirds through the installation procedure, the screen goes blank. I thought it went to sleep, but the keyboard wouldn't even respond to Caps/Num-lock activations, let alone connecting to it remotely (yes! Ultimate has Remote Desktop unlike Home Premium). Wow...... this has got to be the first time ever seeing a setup installer bringing hardware grinding to a halt.

What choice do I have? A hard power cycle and a few ratan strokes to make it wake up its idea. To the SQL Server team's credit, the installation was able to pick up from where it left off (Database engine and Integration services were installed and running), installing whatever was not done prior to the crash. So everything goes through now. Except, that Fulltext Search service could not start:

The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

Heck. Uninstall msftesql, restart OS, and try again. Same story. Double heck.

This time round I decided to check for any event log:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          27/6/2007 00:17:49
    Event ID:      7003
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      jenova
    Description:
    The SQL Server FullText Search (MSSQLSERVER) service depends the following service: NTLMSSP. This service might not be installed.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7003</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-06-26T16:17:49.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>14759</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>jenova</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">SQL Server FullText Search (MSSQLSERVER)</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">NTLMSSP</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

NTLMSSP? Where did that come from? A quick peek at my other laptop confirmed there is no need for NTLMSSP to be there. Time to open up Registry and modify HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msftesql\DependOnService. Took out the line with "NTLMSSP", restart OS, and volia msftesql starts up.

If you need to ask, nope, I have not applied SP2 at this point. I need a break and go home to sleep soon.

Filed under: ,
  •  07-12-2007, 13:19 1555 in reply to 1510

Re: SQL Server FullText Search: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936302

List of known issues when you install SQL Server 2005 on Windows Server Code Name "Longhorn"

Problem 5

After you install SQL Server 2005, the full-text search service cannot start.

Cause of Problem 5

This problem occurs because the NTLM Security Support Provider (NTLMSSP) service does not exist on Windows Server "Longhorn." However, the full-text search service depends on the NTLMSSP service.

Workaround for Problem 5

To work around this problem, install SQL Server 2005 SP2.

•  06-11-2008, 11:17 3052 in reply to 1555

Re: SQL Server FullText Search: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion

What if i had already installed SP2?

•  06-20-2008, 12:28 3103 in reply to 3052

Anonymous:
    What if i had already installed SP2?

If SP2 did not remove that service dependency for your Fulltext Search service, then you likely have to manually edit the registry as well.

•  01-23-2015, 14:34 16061 in reply to 3103

Thanks a lot. This post saves me time to how to fix the issue.

View as RSS news feed in XML