icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

IIS 7: Error 503 Service Unavailable after installing Windows Vista SP1

Last post 04-12-2012, 18:24 by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-05-2008, 5:52 2726

IIS 7: Error 503 Service Unavailable after installing Windows Vista SP1

Will the same pain ever stop? It seems like IIS 7 has a habit of inserting in more security restrictions to break your applications when you are not looking. So, after you install SP1 onto your Windows Vista workstation, you may want to immediately run over to browser and test if your local web applications can still function normally. You may encounter the dreaded HTTP 503 Service Unavailable error.

Being ever the comprehensive and useful error message, it naturally guides an administrator to refer to the Event logs. One may see these

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WAS
    Date:          5/4/2008 17:19:16
    Event ID:      5009
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      jenova
    Description:
    A process serving application pool 'Classic .NET AppPool' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '4968'. The process exit code was '0xfffffffe'.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WAS" Guid="{524B5D04-133C-4A62-8362-64E8EDB9CE40}" EventSourceName="WAS" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">5009</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-05T09:19:16.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>116297</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>jenova</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="AppPoolID">Classic .NET AppPool</Data>
        <Data Name="ProcessID">4968</Data>
        <Data Name="ExitCode">fffffffe</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WAS
    Event ID:      5002
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    Application pool 'Classic .NET AppPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WAS" Guid="{524B5D04-133C-4A62-8362-64E8EDB9CE40}" EventSourceName="WAS" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">5002</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <EventRecordID>116298</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="AppPoolID">Classic .NET AppPool</Data>
        <Binary>
        </Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP
    Event ID:      2276
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    The worker process failed to initialize correctly and therefore could not be started.  The data is the error.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP" Guid="{670080D9-742A-4187-8D16-41143D1290BD}" EventSourceName="W3SVC-WP" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">2276</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <EventRecordID>134487</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Binary>05000780</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

If only it would say more than "the data is the error". I wish I could give such a terse and effective answer to customers and users when I cannot deliver something on time. For sure, others are having a similar swell time as I am. This party is not going to end soon until we find a more zoomed-in description where this seeming denial of access is happening. I tried the suggested locations to give NETWORK SERVICE read or modify privileges to no avail.

What can we poor sods do when the OS or service decides to keep mum? Always return back to your Operating Lord Almighty and pray again for a newer, more powerful version of Process Monitor. It makes me want to cry how easy it suddenly becomes to track what the heck is happening.

Volia. Grant NETWORK SERVICE read access to C:\windows\System32\inetsrv\config\schema, and boom my ASP.NET web applications kick alive again. And that was all I simply wanted - a path to tell where the denial is. Next time, I am skipping the event logs and just using Process Monitor as my real-time log.

•  05-04-2008, 8:29 2903 in reply to 2726

Re: IIS 7: Error 503 Service Unavailable after installing Windows Vista SP1

Argh!

I've been getting the same problems, since installing SP1 onto Vista, IIS refuses to start.

I thought this might be the answer and finally managed to give NETWORK SERVICE the premissions (after a lot of taking control of folders and files to even allow me to add the account to the folder), but nothing has changed.

For the fifth time this weekend I'm going to have to reinstall everything, but this time SP1 is going nowhere near my machine - I just can't afford this kind of breakage. 

•  05-29-2008, 15:18 2984 in reply to 2903

The fix mentioned above didn't solve my 503 service unavailable problem after installing Service Pack 1 (SP1) on Vista Ultimate x64.   I had to uninstall the update for windows (KB947562) and uninstall SP1 using the control panel.  I think if you install updates after SP1, it doesn't let you uninstall SP1 anymore.  That's why I uninstalled KB947562.   After uninstalling SP1 (which took about 20 minutes), I reinstalled IIS7.   This may be an extra step, but I did reinstall it and it works fine again as long as you had a backup of the administration.config and applicationHost.config files located in C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config.   I replaced these with my backups at the end and restarted w3svc and iisadmin.

Microsoft won't support this issue for free.  I tried using their free SP1 chat and they told me to go to the paid support service.    Microsoft wasted 3 - 5 hours of my time on this issue.  I hope someone else figures it out soon

•  05-30-2008, 9:35 2988 in reply to 2984

I would recommend looking at the event logs to see what types of errors you are receiving for your system. Also, observe failed file operations with Process Monitor and see if you can identify any areas that need more permissions.
  •  07-10-2008, 0:33 3638 in reply to 2988

It turns out that I had to be running new 64-bit versions of isapi rewrite, PHP and coldfusion in order to get my IIS functional in 64 bit mode.  Coldfusion 8.0.1 now has full Vista SP1 support - http://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads_updates.html.  However, I had to uninstall coldfusion and then reinstall it first.  Don't forget to back up the xml files in the coldfusion8/lib folder so you don't have to recreate your settings/datasources/mappings.   PHP x64 binary can acquired here: http://fusionxlan.com/PHPx64.php - I had to manually add the fastcgi module in order for it to work.  People said you could just turn CGI on and off, but it didn't populate the fastcgi option.  www.isapirewrite.com is what i use for URL rewriting.  

I hope this helps someone.  I certainly lost a lot of time figuring it out!

•  04-12-2012, 18:24 12599 in reply to 2726

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've spent hours picking through Google results to get a straight answer on this problem. Process monitor, as you say, made it easy to just pinpoint the problem. Why on earth this isn't included as standard is beyond me.

IIS up and running, finally... thank you again.

View as RSS news feed in XML