icelava.net

why be normal?
Welcome to icelava.net Sign in | Help
in Search

Travel lessons 2005

Last post 10-08-2005, 5:06 by icelava. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-04-2005, 19:00 1133

Travel lessons 2005

Notes taken during my trip to USA
    1. Look LEFT before crossing the road. Looking right first will very likely get you killed. Preferrably, look both ways. Or hold the hand of a native.
    2. I typically don't like to be described as "short" - that is only one dimension. I have been described as "small" or "petite" which more accurately considers our 3D world. But here, a new definition of "pocket-size Aaron" becomes the trend. Alone, the word "compact" takes on whole new personal meaning.
    3. With relation to the above, I finally understand as well what real supersizes are. James Shaw swore the burger I ordered for the first night's dinner was bigger than my head. I could have sworn myself the large packets of nachos or potato chips they sell in supermarkets weigh heavier than me. It becomes exceedingly easy to guess how some of people can be three or four times my width.
    4. Beer is the late-night milk here. Or at least with the larger group of ASPInsiders who wish not to remain sober to avoid any programming chores. They would probably drink beer for breakfast if made available. Howdy Australia!

•  10-08-2005, 4:15 1136 in reply to 1133

Baggage security

On a more serious note, I was informed on the very day of flight to USA that heightened security measures by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) require baggage to be unlocked so that they can be inspected. Using a conventional lock to secure one's baggage will likely result in them cutting and breaking it open. The recommendation is to use TSA-approved locks.

It was too late for me to do anything about it back then, since the supermart at Changi airport does not sell such products. I was later relieved to hear US Customs would check in the presence of the owner, thereby granting to chance to unlock. This however did not happen and we scooped up our luggage without hassle at the Seattle-Tacoma airport.

The real significance of this matter dawned upon me only when it was time to leave USA. Baggage flying in from other countries may be hard to control, and besides, they are landing onto American soil and staying on the ground. However, taking off from a US airport presents the issue of bring goods up into the air and opportunity for some funny business. This has really been a lesson of ignorance for me that left me with an unlocked bag. Shouldn't be too terrible though, unless somebody wants to steal me chocolates and raisins.

UPDATE: everything is back with me safe and sound.
  •  10-08-2005, 5:06 1137 in reply to 1136

Baggage security: Part 2

Tip: do not get overly protective of software and other prized possessions. To the point where you pack all that into your hand-carry luggage and forget to include a set of fresh clothes when you know you have to stopover for one whole day in another airport/hotel waiting for the next transit flight.

Good thing I never smell bad. Or at least nobody ever told me so.

Note: I did bathe at the transit hotel in Taipei (or inn, as I prefer to label it).
View as RSS news feed in XML